I practice in all areas of Ohio, with my primary base in Northwest Ohio. I am licensed to practice in any court in Ohio, and am admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio and the Eastern District of Michigan, and in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee). I have clients from all across the country who have come to me in time of need. I concentrate my practice in the fields of criminal law, family law, civil rights cases arising from policemisconduct only, juvenile law (delinquency), and appeals of all matters. I can also assist you in obtaining a protection order against a stalker or an abusive domestic partner, or defend you against someone seeking to unjustifiably obtain such an order against you.
I strive to keep my client base small, so that I can give each client my utmost attention. I take great pride in what I do, and provide the type of legal representation that I would want for myself if I ever had the need.
My greatest asset is my ability to think “outside the box.” And I never hesitate to enlist the help of other lawyers and experts when needed. I have assembled many great teams, drawing upon America’s leading experts in the areas of forensics, excessive-use-of-force, psychology, accounting, and other areas of expertise.
I am often referred cases from other lawyers when they learn of the complexity of a given matter well after they have undertaken representation of the client. I relish a challenge, and through innovation and hard work, can often take a case that looks like a “sure loser” and deliver outstanding results. Please see my “Newsletters” page for a recent example.
You can also watch a video of me arguing before the Ohio Supreme Court in the case of Nickel v. Carter (2004), 104 Ohio St. 3d 542 at http://www.supremecourtofohiomedialibrary.org/Media.aspx?fileId=119334. (I argue after my opponent, Mr. Sandwisch.)
Please feel free to contact me* with questions about your legal issue. Provide as much information as possible so that I may understand your problem. While this contact does not establish an attorney/client relationship, all information is protected by the rules governing confidentiality and will not be shared with others except to the extent it may be necessary to fully evaluate your case, and for no other purpose. Anyone with whom I consult about your case is likewise duty-bound to maintain confidentiality.
Let me put my over 20 years of experience to work for you.
* Fees and Terms:
Please consider the following before you contact me:
I offer reasonable rates and terms, and may consider taking your case on a flat-fee basis.
Except where a flat fee might be appropriate, I require a retainer to undertake your representation. A retainer is a sum of money that you pay to me to retain my services. Retainers are refundable to the extent that they are not earned. The retainer is deposited into a trust account where client funds are maintained. I don’t touch the money until I have earned the money. I generate monthly invoices for all of my clients. The invoices are detailed; they show the date that work was performed, a detailed description of the work performed, and the amount of time spent doing the work, in 1/10-hour increments. The invoices show how much money has been moved out of the trust account from your retainer and into my business account to pay myself and my operating expenses. The invoices will show how much of your money is left to work with, if any, or if there is a balance due. The invoices are payable upon receipt.
I generally charge $200.00 per hour for my services. I bill against your retainer.
I also accept all major credit cards. Payments by credit cards can be made directly from this website (“Payment” page).
“One of the most expensive things in this world is an inexpensive lawyer.” -Anonymous.
- United States v. Payton, 754 F.3d 375 (6th Cir. 2014).
- United States v. Mack, 729 F.3d. 594 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Sanford, 707 F.3d 594 (6th Cir. 2012).
- United States v. Coles, 695 F.3d 559 (6th Cir. 2012).
- United States v. Quinney, 583 F.3d 891 (6th Cir. 2009).
- Davis v. United States, 499 F.3d 590 (6th. Cir. 2007).
Officially Published Opinions:
Unpublished Opinions & Orders:
- United States v. Leach (6th Cir.), No. 15-3283.
- United States v. Sidikov (6th Cir.), No. 14-3534.
- United States v. Edwards (6th Cir.), No. 14-3170.
- United States v. Greer (6th Cir.), No. 14-2076.
- United States v. Thomas, No. 14-3114 (6th Cir. 2015).
- United States v. Thomas, No. 14-3115 (6th Cir. 2015).
- United States v. Musick, No. 14-5704 (6th Cir. 2015).
- United States v. Miller, No. 14-5080 (6th Cir. 2015).
- United States v. Wooten, No. 13-1566 (6th Cir. 2015).
- United States v. Noble, No. 12-6557 (6th Cir. 2015).
- United States v. Rodriguez-Gonzales, No. 12-3735 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Ayers, No. 13-3161 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Conner, No. 12-4072 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Grady, No. 12-1788 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Conner, No. 12-3210 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Grindles, No. 12-5920 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Sims, No. 12-3111 (6th Cir. 2013).
- United States v. Bloomfield, No. 11-3347 (6th Cir. 2012).
- United States v. Heard, No. 08-1426 (6th Cir. 2012).
- United States v. Thomas, No. 09-3827 (6th Cir. 2012).
- United States v. Gaines, No. 10-5149 (6th Cir. 2012).
- United States v. Sonier, No. 10-4134 (6th Cir. 2011).
- United States v. Mendoza-Almendarez, No. 09-4179 (6th Cir. 2011).
- United States v. Quinney, No. 07-3190 (6th Cir. 2007).
- United States v. Wright, No. 04-1685 (6th Cir. 2005).
Pending Federal Appeals:
- United States v. Barry (6th Cir.), No. 14-1653.
- United States v. Price (6th. Cir.), No. 15-2041.
- United States v. McCaskill (6th Cir.), No. 15-1113.
- United States v. Clisby (6th Cir.), No. 14-3754.
- Officially Published Opinions:
- Nickel v. Carter (2004), 104 Ohio St. 3d 542.
- State v. Lamb (2004), 156 Ohio App. 3d 128.
- State v. Perry (2002), 147 Ohio App. 3d 164.
- State ex rel. Wayne County CSEA v. Tanner (2001), 146 Ohio App. 3d 765.
- State v. Lyons (2000), 138 Ohio App. 3d 614.
- State v. Davis (1999), 133 Ohio App. 3d 114.
- State v. Tyren (Ohio Com. Pl. 1998), 91 Ohio Misc. 2d 67.
- In re: Carlos O. (1994), 96 Ohio App. 3d 252.
- State v. Williams (1991), 57 Ohio St. 3d 24.
- Toledo v. Grove, 2015-Ohio-910.
- Ruggles v. Ruggles Family Ltd. Partnership, 2014-Ohio-3852.
- State v. Phillips, 2013-Ohio-4743.
- In re: I.B., 2013-Ohio-1262.
- State v. Giffin, 2012-Ohio-6241.
- State v. Nickel, 2012-Ohio-6067.
- Davis v. Davis, 2012-Ohio-2088.
- State v. Dennison, 2012-Ohio-1988.
- State v. Lake, 2012-Ohio-1236.
- State v. DeVault, 2012-Ohio-29.
- State v. Isbell, 2011-Ohio-2082.
- State v. Bryukhanova, 2010-Ohio-5504.
- State v. Nickel, 2009-Ohio-5996.
- Overfield v. McCleary, 2008-Ohio-2882.
- State v. Carter, 2007-Ohio-6359.
- Beaverson v. Beaverson, 2007-Ohio-3560.
- Jean-Paul L. v. Michelle M., 2007-Ohio-1042.
- Irwin v. Murray, 2006-Ohio-1633.
- In re: Aasiyah T., 2005-Ohio-667.
- Blaker v. Wilhelm, 2005-Ohio-317.
- Hudson v. Ohio Dept. Rehab and Corr., 2004-Ohio-7203.
- Ramirez v. State, 2004-Ohio-480.
- Nickel v. Carter, 2003-Ohio-6977.
- Haven House Manor, Ltd. v. Gabel, 2003-Ohio-6750.
- Lance-Sepesi v. Goris, 2003-Ohio-1622.
- Strong v. Strong, 2002-Ohio-2693.
- Gorman v. Oates, 2002-Ohio-1511.
- State v. Schroeder (Oct. 6, 2001), Wood App. No. WD-00-076.
- State v. Ramirez (Jul. 20, 2001), Wood App. Nos. WD-052/76.
- Descamps v. Kripke (Sep. 29, 2000), Lucas App. No. L-99- 1411.
- State v. Schneider (Aug. 20, 1999), Wood App. No. WD-99-002.
- State v. Lutman (Jun. 30, 1999), Lucas App. No. L-97-1447.
- State v. Bahnsen (May 15, 1998), Wood App. No. WD-97-044.
- Warner v. Warner (Feb. 27, 1998), Wood App. No. WD-07-095.
- Bauer v. Bauer (Feb. 14, 1997), Wood App. No. WD-96-025.
- State v. Young (Jun. 22, 1995), Hancock App. No. 5-95-4.
- State v. Bryant (Jun. 3, 1994), Wood App. No. WD-93-112.
- Hall v. Hall (Feb. 11, 1994), Wood App. No. WD-93-045.
Pending State Appeals:
- State v. Belton, Ohio Sup. Ct. Case No. 12-0902 (Ohio Supreme Court Death Penalty Appeal).
- Davis v. Davis, Sixth District Court of Appeals Case No. WD-15-028.
- Marine Max, Inc. v. Moore, Sixth District Court of Appeals Case No. OT-15-033.
- State v. Gangwer, Sixth District Court of Appeals Case No. WD-15-058.
- In re: S.S., et al., Sixth District Court of Appeals Case No. WD-15-061.